Monday, February 11, 2008

My Topsy Turvy Dolls

( A little history...)
Topsy Turvy Dolls are reversible dolls that flip upside down to reveal storybook characters who have on contrasting outfits.
It is believed that the art of Topsy Turvy designs began around the time of the Civil War. One of the first style of of topsy turvy doll designs were that of a black doll on one side and and white doll on the other
It has been said that "a slave mother designed this type of doll for her child because slave children were not allowed to play with white dolls. This designed allowed the black child to play with the white doll but when a master, overseer or any white individual were present the child could flip the doll and play with the black doll."
Though the years the topsy turvy doll design changed and has become more of a story telling doll of child hood fairy tales and fables, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella and the more traditional style of a sleep and awake doll .
I have always been fascinated with these dolls ,and how they were made. It was not until a few years back that my sewing skill improved and I dared to venture and try my hand at making one . I then had to give give it my own special touch of creepy, and from that day on I have enjoyed making these dolls with unique macabre stories of their own . So here I have added some pictures of past creations that I have sold, and am still working on more... in fact one is to be completed this week .

Mourning Bride/ Ghost Bride-
Poison Tea /Poison Coffee
"Victorian Spiritualism" -Tea Leaf Reader/ Lady of Seance
"Death Becomes Her" -Illness / Death
" Dark Changes" Bittten/Transformed

No comments: